Personalized direct mail and targeted outbound sales can work in tandem to amplify your message. Join us as we unpack the secrets to making your message not only heard but felt in a market that's louder than ever.
What is outbound sales?
Outbound sales is all about initiating the conversation and making the first move toward potential customers. This approach starts with a solid groundwork of research to identify leads who are most likely to benefit from the products or services offered.
Once a target list is compiled, the next step is a direct and strategic outreach. Being successful in outbound sales means not just reaching out to many people but reaching out in the right way. This means understanding customer challenges, presenting clear benefits, and addressing objections.
The endgame of outbound sales is to guide the prospect from initial awareness to active interest. Ultimately, the success of this approach is measured by how effectively these conversations turn into sales opportunities and closed deals.
What is direct mail marketing?
Direct mail marketing is an important part of outbound sales. It involves sending physical promotional materials to a chosen audience's homes or offices. This form of marketing leverages the power of personal touch, delivering a tangible piece of brand communication literally into the hands of a potential customer.
The strategy behind direct mail marketing is meticulous and data-driven. Marketers analyze data on people's characteristics and locations to customize materials and make them more effective. Direct mail is different from virtual noise because it's a tangible object that people can look at again and again.
Creating a successful direct mail campaign requires creating an engaging message and designing attractive materials. The next step is to create a strong call-to-action. This could be visiting your website, entering your store, or calling a sales rep.
Direct mail sales can be tracked using offer codes, dedicated phone lines, or custom landing pages. These allow businesses to measure the return on investment with considerable accuracy.
In today's digital age, direct mail marketing stands out by cutting through electronic clutter. It reinforces brand visibility and can be highly effective when integrated with other marketing channels.
How can direct mail be used in outbound sales efforts?
Direct mail is a strong tool in outbound sales campaigns because it connects digital efforts to physical mail's impact. Here's how it can effectively bolster outbound sales:
- Customized outreach: Tailoring direct mail pieces, such as postcards or letters, to specific accounts increases personalization. By sending out materials that introduce the sales representative with their photo, a brief bio, and direct contact information, the recipient receives a human touch in an often impersonal digital world.
- Digital engagement: To encourage online interaction, include links in the physical mail. These links can be QR codes or short URLs. They can lead to the sales representative's online calendar or a landing page, making it easy to move from physical to digital. This invites prospects to engage immediately and effortlessly with just a scan or a quick type-in.
- Creating a conversation: You can spark interest by showcasing the sales representative's achievements and personality in direct mail. By including highlights such as participation in a podcast, authorship of articles, or engaging social media posts, the sales representative becomes more than just a name. They become a person of interest, prompting the recipient to engage in a conversation.
- Integration with digital tactics: Direct mail should be part of a larger sales strategy. After sending the mail, you can use automated emails or scheduled cold calls to follow up. Using multiple methods to engage the prospect increases the chance of getting a response.
- Exclusive invitations: Send invites for webinars, events, or conferences by mail. Getting a formal invitation in the mail can make someone feel important and more likely to go, which creates more chances for interaction.
Direct mail is effective because it creates a personal experience and engages prospects through multiple channels. By combining different methods, outbound sales can be more effective and convert more leads.
How to work with marketing teams when using direct mail in outbound sales
To use direct mail in outbound sales, sales and marketing teams must collaborate. By partnering together, they can effectively capture and nurture leads.
- Landing pages: Special landing pages for the mail campaign can host valuable content, such as popular downloads or recordings of informative webinars. Prospects can provide their information through forms when they visit these pages and engage with the content. This allows the collection of valuable prospect data and aids in nurturing the lead down the sales funnel.
- Retargeting: Companies can execute retargeting campaigns by placing tracking pixels on direct mail landing pages. These campaigns keep the brand top-of-mind for prospects who have shown initial interest by interacting with the mail. The pixels monitor what users do online. This helps show them targeted ads and strengthens the sales message.
- Brand consistency: The aesthetics and message of the direct mail piece should be in line with the overall brand image. This focus is where the creative expertise of the marketing team is invaluable. Working together ensures that the direct mail design reflects the brand's standards and that the message aligns with broader marketing initiatives.
This cohesive strategy enhances the effectiveness of direct mail campaigns within outbound sales efforts, leading to better engagement rates and, ultimately, a higher return on investment.
Schedule a demo today
Lob's advanced automation platform and extensive print delivery network make it easy to create personalized, scalable direct mail campaigns. Plus, integrating these tools into your sales sequence is a breeze. If your goal is to deepen customer connections, broaden your influence, or carve out a distinctive space in a saturated market, Lob equips you with the means to launch campaigns that hit the mark with remarkable simplicity and accuracy.
Get a demo today and discover how effortless it is to launch customizable direct mail in outbound sales.