SAN FRANCISCO-Lob, the industry’s leading direct mail automation platform, today released its 2024 State of Direct Mail Marketing, in partnership with Comperemedia, to gain insight into how enterprise marketers use direct mail to drive growth, assess impact, and track the evolving investments in both the channel and technology. For the third year, the report found that marketers agree that direct mail delivers the best ROI, response rate, and conversion rate compared to other channels, including email.
The report surveyed 250 marketing professionals who work at North American companies with more than 1,000 employees across financial services/banking, insurance, healthcare, insurance, and telecom. Sixty-eight percent of respondents say their companies conduct business through both online and physical locations, with most stating their mail volume ranges from 100,000 to 100 million mailpieces annually.
In response to consumers' receptiveness to direct mail marketing, marketers are investing more in the channel and technology to automate it.
2024 State of Direct Mail Marketing key findings include:
- Direct mail delivers the highest ROI of any channel marketers use. 84% of marketers agree direct mail provides the highest ROI of any channel they use. This number has consistently increased year-over-year for a third consecutive year, from 67% in 2022, to 74% in 2023, and to 84% in 2024.
- Direct mail drives both conversion and response rates. 85% of marketers agree that direct offers the best conversion rate, and 84% agree it provides the best conversion rate. Both of these stats increased from 74% in 2023.
- Marketers continue to increase investment in direct mail. 82% of respondents are increasing direct mail spend in 2024. This is an increase from 58% in 2023.
- Marketers are satisfied with their data for effectively executing direct mail campaigns. 97% of respondents are satisfied with their data for effective execution of direct mail campaigns.
- The top uses of data are for campaign personalization and optimization. The leading use of data is personalization, cited by 68% of respondents.
- The adoption of direct mail automation platforms has grown. 56% of respondents use a software/technology platform to execute campaigns, up from 40% in 2023.
Ryan Ferrier, Lob’s Chief Operating Officer, says, “We’ve seen substantial growth in marketers recognizing the undeniable potential of direct mail driven by its exceptional conversion, response rates, and ROI, and who are doubling down on their investments in the channel. The increasing adoption of direct mail automation platforms underscores our commitment to empowering businesses with powerful tools that enhance efficiency and maximize the impact of their direct mail campaigns.”
Watch the thought leadership webinar for a deep dive into the report findings, and access the full report here.
Lob is the only direct mail automation platform for the digital age. Lob's platform automates the direct mail execution process for enterprises at any scale - from creation, printing, postage, delivery, and sustainability with end-to-end analytics and campaign attribution. Over 12,000 businesses trust Lob to transform their direct mail into intelligent mail.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.
To learn more about Lob’s automated direct mail marketing, visit https://lob.com.